Next stop was Bako national park and enroute we got the distinct impression that my parents’ 30Kg suitcase was not the way to go. “You can leave any excess luggage at the boat terminal” our taxi driver helpfully suggested. “No, no” we said. As we had not intended to leave any luggage behind it was all mixed in together, so obviously it would be easier just to take the lot. Long silence…..then: “Well if it’s low tide you will have a long way to walk…”
I should point out that Bako park is only accessible by longboat, a fact which I was well aware of from reading The Rough Guide. In truth, however, I had not given much thought to the dimensions of either the longboat or our luggage. Still, the thought of sinking the boat and/or having to drag 30 kilos through two miles of quick-sand spurred us into action. Quicker than you could say “capsule wardrobe” we found ourselves in the jetty office, socks and pants everywhere as we consolidated our bags down to the bare essentials.
No comments:
Post a Comment